Sunday, November 14, 2010

Red Wing 4592's

Back in September I bought a pair of Red Wing 4592's. They are my first pair of "real" boots since I was much younger and I was honestly unaware of the proper care for a pair of boots of that quality. After a little research online, I got some mink oil(just the simple Kiwi brand) and applied the first coat of many to the boots. I couldn't be happier with the results.


The mink oil brought a great depth of color out of the leathers that was missing. Much more red and "burnt" colors. Also, the process was incredibly quick and clean.

I always get a bit of satisfaction caring for any clothes, furniture, or durable goods. Ironing shirts, polishing dress shoes, cleaning cuff links, etc. You know, that feeling like you are "taking good care of your things" like your parents told you to. I felt that double when applying the oil to these boots. One of those few connections to the past through a now strictly elective ritual. My job is as physically undemanding as they get so I don't need the boots themselves to accomplish anything, but I still need the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment